We might be moving to Maryland.
After two years of resisting the notion - and finally receiving as much assurance as possible that Jeremy was safe from relocation - we’ve decided that it might be for us, after all.
Our much-too-short, two-week road trip northward, left us both restless, dissatisfied and unsettled upon our return. The weather was so hot and miserable. I felt disconnected from our play group and relationships that had seemed so crucial previously felt unexpectedly expendable.
Perhaps it’s that we’ve been back from Korea for three and a half years now - the same amount of time we lived there - the longest we’ve lived anywhere as a couple. Perhaps a fresh start feels in order after our loss earlier this year (even though it’s all in my head, I struggle to feel comfortable at a play group full of bouncing babies). Perhaps we abhor ruts and just wanted to shake things up a little bit. Perhaps we’re just a little bit nomadic at heart and it’s finally time to move on.
So as we searched for ways to bring some “spice” into our lives and chase away the mutual “blahs”, Jeremy wondered aloud about moving with Lockheed to one of the flight test areas (southern Maryland or Edwards in California). I allowed it was at least worth checking into.
His initial inquiry resulted only future possibilities, but his supervisor suggested checking with a manager in Maryland, which Jeremy did.
This manager was thrilled to hear from Jeremy. He’d been trying to fill a spot for months - one that Jeremy is perfectly qualified for. By the end of that first phone call, it seemed apparent that if Jeremy wanted it, it was his. The only catch - we’d have to move by the end of THIS YEAR!
Jeremy and I spent this past weekend in southern Maryland - Saint Mary’s County, to be exact - where the Patuxent River Naval Air Station - site of flight test for the STOVL variant of the JSF/F-35/Lightning II fighter jet - is located.
It was lovely - green and rural, tall trees and hundreds of miles of coastline. The houses are mostly vinyl siding (to resemble wood paneling) with very little brick. Most have basements, which, when finished, double the size of the houses, all of which were bigger than ours when counting just one floor.
The work would be similar to what Jeremy did in Korea - so, grueling, frustrating, at times, boring. But it would probably be the best move, career-wise - going where the action - and the planes - are. And being where the planes are is always pretty exciting for an aerospace engineer.
We now have two weeks to weigh the benefits and consequences of a move. Jeremy is sold, but is honoring my hesitation. While the spirit of adventure in me still thrills at the opportunity to discover new territory and new people, the aged, settled me frets over leaving behind the stay-at-home mom community I’ve built for myself and anguishes over taking Gideon away from his precious Memaws and Papas.
So we’ll consider real estate prices in our area, as well as those of Saint Mary’s County. We’ll tally up improvements to be made on our house to make it more desirable. We’ll calculate cost of living increases to make sure we can still live on one income. We’ll research social outlets there and evaluate friendships and relationships here. We’ll consider work opportunities should Jeremy stay here and advancement possibilities should we move there. And then we’ll just make the best decision we can for our family, our future, our jobs, our home, our happiness - and hope no one holds it against us, either way.
Four years ago today...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment