Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Having Enough

After watching (with some embarrassment) two months ago as a semi-trailer filled to the brim with our possessions pulled away from the curb of our house in Texas, I bemoaned the fact that I hadn't taken the time to sort through things, eliminate, purge before packing and vowed right then to purge on the other end of the move.  In the hotel, I thought about what I would get rid of and what I would make sure to use more.  I made plans for enlarging family heirloom quilts, so they would cover queen-sized beds, and rearranging dish cabinets so that I will actually use the complete set of Korean dishes shipped from overseas five years ago.

As the movers unloaded box after box here in Maryland, filling in turn each room in our new house, I wished again I had taken the time before the move to reduce our worldly baggage.

But now, two weeks into unpacking, I can see that this is the only way to do it for me - the new surroundings give me a fresh perspective on what's necessary and important and what's superfluous, a perspective I couldn't achieve in Fort Worth.  Because once something's usefulness had passed (or had yet to be ascertained), it would be neatly stored away, at the top of a closet, at the back of a cabinet - "just in case" or for some imagined future use.  And then it was promptly forgotten.

Even pulling these items out for the sake of packing didn't really make me take notice of them or see them any differently than I always had - as a perennial part of the landscape of that house.

Spending two months away from these things, though, and seeing them again for the first time crammed into a cardboard box, needing a new home sheds a whole new light on them and their relevance in my life.

Just a few of the things I'm having second thoughts about hanging on to any longer:

The partial set of grocery-store-giveaway china my Memaw had started collecting decades ago that sat untouched on the top shelf of a cabinet in our kitchen for the past four years.

And the 15 or so small throw blankets that mostly sat on a closet shelf because they were never long enough to cover my feet and my arms while watching TV on the sofa.

From our closet, my one remaining bridesmaid's dress (from 12 years ago), cap and gown (14 years ago), and two business suits (4 sizes and 14 years ago).

And the bins and bins of baby and toddler clothes, blankets, cloth diapers, along with the larger pieces of baby paraphernalia - bathtub, johnny-jump-up, pack-n-play.


Earlier this month, for the first time in just under two years, I didn't feel sad or disappointed or depressed when ol' "Aunt Flow" came for her monthly visit, arriving with her dependable punctuality.  And that fact made me happy, made me think that maybe - just maybe - I've accepted where I am right now.

Even during that first hard year of motherhood, when I emphatically insisted to others that I wouldn't be having any more children, I was faithfully and carefully washing, folding and packing away into labeled plastic totes outgrown clothes.  Toys no longer used were disassembled or put into boxes and stored in the attic.  Even then, I wasn't ready to part with these things, had thoughts of using them again.

I've continued labeling and storing through the sizes and had a large tower of plastic totes in our storage shed that were opened and summarily dumped helter-skelter by the packers into moving company cardboard boxes - some mixed with garden hoses or my sewing fabric and supplies.

Now that I'm faced with emptying those cardboard boxes and re-establishing my orderly system and storage schema, I can't help but wonder if isn't time to let these things go, let the space they fill be used by something else, release myself from their literal and figurative weight - their reminders of loss and propensity for creating expectations.  Maybe letting them go is the next step towards embracing what is now, not what was or what might yet be.

Now, I'm not saying definitively that our family will not grow, but I do believe I'm done carrying around the expectation of it.  It's a weighty presumption that takes up lots of closet space and even more capacity for peace and joy.  We're just done "trying" to accomplish it - reaching, grasping, straining to gain it.  "Trying" for the last two years has left us with nothing; plus, we weren't "trying" to have Gideon and look how beautifully that turned out.

We meet lots of new people these days - every day just about.  It's been amazing to us how quickly people think it's their prerogative to query us about our reproductive plans.  Even "he's your only one?" can sometimes seem to carry some judgment with it, but some people feel comfortable even in a first meeting going so far as to ask, "Don't y'all plan on having any more?" That slices right through the skin, down to the bone, gouging deep.

Jeremy's tactic is to completely ignore such personal, painful queries made so flippantly - no nod of the head, no muttering or stammering or "hmmm"-ing.  It's as if they said nothing to him.  I love this tactic.  Love it.  But, alas, it is one I'm incapable of carrying off - saying nothing.  So I swing the opposite way - I say too much.  I figure if they can make me uncomfortable by asking such a personal question, I can make them equally uncomfortable by telling them more than they bargained for - the truth:  We'd like more.  Not going as we'd planned.  Not in control.  Not one, but two miscarriages in the past year.  Hard, very hard.

But as I've been writing this, I've realized that what I want to say, what I should be saying, what I should've been telling myself over the past year or more, is, "What's wrong with our family as it is?  Just because we don't have three or more kids [like everyone else down here in SoMD, fyi] doesn't make us any less of a family.  We love each other, we respect each other, and we truly enjoy spending time together as a family.  Thank you for your concern, but really we are fine just as we are.  We are whole..."

Our tribe
(In the hotel - Sally is the darkness just behind my head)






"We are, quite simply, enough."

6 comments:

  1. Amy,

    I've been searching your name on FB from time to time and was so glad to see you here. I'm sorry to see that you have been traveling through the journey of infertility, but so happy for you to have a precious family and coming to a place of contentment whether you have more children or not. More people seem to be willing to talk about this stuff, so you probably know that you are not alone. A lot of us go through this, and all of us react to it differently. Scott and I had our own infertility issues. My dad's side of the family had some infertility and so I thought that if we had trouble, it would be me. Nope, it was Scott. We tried two years for Liam. I then had a very difficult pregnancy and delivery. We waited before trying again and then spent a year, a miscarriage, and one surgery to conceive Rush. I can't say that I grieved the miscarriage the way you did. I was very practical about the whole thing, not to mention that we were in the middle of learning that Liam had not come away unscathed from his birthing experience. I will say a prayer for you to have continued peace and understanding for whatever your future holds.

    Good luck with the unpacking/purging. We moved to a new house two years ago. I also entered a major period of purging. I'm still throwing things out. Not all that interested in taking care of "stuff" anymore.

    I look forward to keeping up with you and your family.

    Kristen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Acceptance is freeing. Great thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE this post - the tie in to the old, unnecessary stuff, the freedom that comes with acceptance of what is. Beautifully done, my friend.

    And, although I'm sure I told you this, I'm still trying to come to grips with two being enough. It never feels that way, really. And yet, it's where we plan to stay. For now, anyway, unless someone else comes along from whom we simply cannot turn away.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just stumbled onto this blog and find it to be beautifully written. I can understand the "freeing" feeling of accepting your family just the way it is. I wanted more children for the longest time but it wasn't in the "cards". I have come to accept that and I live a much happier life. I am VERY happy for you. It's good to be back in touch. Keep on purging!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had a similar experience with possessions when David and I married. It took me almost a year to get around to unpacking the knickknack box. When I did, my reaction was, "I have so totally not missed this stuff," and it was pretty easy to donate. Since then I have hit upon the technique of taking a photo of a memento and then I can get rid of it. Not ALL mementoes, of course. But when my mom cleaned out and I found myself with a construction paper Pilgrim made from a Pringles can (3rd grade project), I mean really, how much can I keep? Also available: companion Uncle Sam Pringles can.

    I would love to know why the movers emptied the totes when they were already packed.

    Glad you're making progress on knowing what to say or not to say to people's nosey questions and comments. I would be tempted to respond with a question about their own birth control or something equally as personal.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is part of my sometimes longing to move - to just start over with a blank slate, instead of being forced to sort through all the detritus that's built up over only 8 years of marriage! But I have been trying to sort and purge also.

    Peace is a wonderful thing... Peace with whatever. I also think it's a process, coming in waves. High tides and low tides. At times of amazing peace I sometimes imagine that I have arrived and it will always be so. And for awhile it is. Until the peace departs and I'm in a hollow. And I fear it always be so. I think it must be the grieving/healing process. Why, oh why does it take so long, I often wonder.

    But it's good to know that you are enough.

    ReplyDelete