Gideon was invited to a read a book to the current pre-Kers at his old preschool. He chose the book and we practiced reading it every day for a week. After the reading, the students were encouraged by the teachers to ask the "big" kindergartner about kindergarten.
Wow! His leg are so long and his voice so clear! I am super-impressed by how he reads. I was just thinking that he is way better than Sarah, but reminded myself he practiced for a week? Tell me he doesn't just pick up a book and read like that...
We went back and re-visited Sarah's old Pre-K class last week. I think it was the highlight of her Kindergarten year!
I'm a born-and-raised Texan and a chronic late bloomer. An expatriate and world traveller turned stay-at-home mom to three who refuses to dye away the gray my 41 years have earned me, I find small moments in my days full of diapers, dishes, and dirty laundry to really see, fully do, frequently pray, and casually create. I posts those explorations infuriatingly infrequently here.
Rocky Ledge Bars: I was so excited when I finally had all the ingredients to make this. How could they not be "to die for"? But they weren't so exciting - too sweet, too much, something. Butterscotch chips overwhelmed other flavors.
Banana-Walnut Chocolate Chunk: Made these awhile ago, don't remember much about them. Guess that answers the question.
Mint Chocolate Brownies: We made these a year ago for Christmas and I plan to make them this year too. Delish.
Yin-Yang Wafers: FromThe Complete Cookie. Delicate and delicious. A refrigerator cookie that can be frozen in a roll and sliced off of as needed.
Chocolate Nut Swirls: From The Complete Cookie. Also delicate and buttery like the Yin-Yang Wafers.
Peanut Thumbprints with Chocolate Ganache Filling: From The Complete Cookie. Not as impressive as it looked (or sounded). Needs more peanut taste. The "ganache filling" also makes it hard to store.
Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookies: The heavens opened and angels sang. Perfection. (Be sure and use Hershey's Special Dark Cocoa.)
Peanut Butter Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies: A good cookie. I like peanut butter, so I think I would increase the amount in this to 1 cup. I also added pecans, but peanuts might help contribute to the peanutty flavor.
Toffee Chip Snickerdoodles: Interesting concept. Not sure if it can still be a snickerdoodle with chocolate chips. The dough is very light and creamy. But I think 14 minutes was too long in my oven. The first batch was mostly crispy without too much chewy. Will be baking up more batches from this dough soon. Flavor was just not as striking as I'd anticipated.
Espresso-Chocolate Toffee Shortbread Cookies: Gideon found the cookie cutters and wanted to use them and I couldn't settle for just a plain ol' sugar cookie recipe (not even with cocoa powder added in). I used instant coffee powder, instead of instant espresso, and it seems to have imparted an adequate coffee flavor. Delicious for dunking in coffee.
Chocolate Cherry Almond Crisps: From The Good Cookie. Nice flavor, but I wouldn't have minded a little more oomph from the cherry flavor.
Alice's Chocolate Chip Cookies: Or in her words, "The Best Chocolate Chip Cookie Ever". And it is pretty damn good. I'll be making again sometime soon for further evaluation of its worthiness of that title.
Wow! His leg are so long and his voice so clear! I am super-impressed by how he reads. I was just thinking that he is way better than Sarah, but reminded myself he practiced for a week? Tell me he doesn't just pick up a book and read like that...
ReplyDeleteWe went back and re-visited Sarah's old Pre-K class last week. I think it was the highlight of her Kindergarten year!